Friday, March 6, 2009

Smile Big


Last Wednesday, I took Nate to the dentist for the first time. He is 2 and a 1/2 and it seemed pretty pointless to take him so young (after seeing the 2 minute examination he received I am even more convinced that it is pointless to take them to the dentist when they are this little). However, I took him in because he is still missing three of his front teeth and I just wanted to make sure everything was OK. He was such a big boy. He watched Olivia climb up and get her teeth cleaned, then he climbed into the chair next to her and sat there with his mouth open while the dentist did his check up. I did not expect him to be so cooperative and I didn't even think to remember to bring my camera, it was a priceless picture moment. The dentist seems to think that everything is fine and said that he might just be one of those kids who doesn't get all of his teeth until he is 3. Just as luck would have it - one of his bottom teeth cut through on Friday which might explain why he has been so darn cranky lately. I guess I'm a little paranoid about this tooth thing because of my experience. When I was 16, I still had not lost all of my baby teeth (the same slow teeth that Nate is missing). The dentist pulled them out, assuming they would grow in quicker if there was nothing to block them. They took their time and I didn't have a full smile again until I was 19 years old and had endured two bouts of braces. These darn teeth, I guess it's genetics, but there are some experiences I would like to spare my children.

Nate's response when I told him to show me his teeth. He has a little rash around his mouth right now, he always seems to get a rash on his face during the winter months.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

He is such a cute kid. I love that smile. Connor likes him a lot--he always talks about him after nursery. Did you guys go to Dr. Kirby? We are trying to decide where to go.

Jill said...

Yes we did go to Dr. Kirby. She was OK, but just a little too preachy. Livie loves her though.