Monday, January 31, 2011

January Re-cap

January seems so long ago, but it was an eventful month for us, so I thought it would be worth catching up on.  The month started off beautifully.  For Christmas, the kids each received a bike horn/bell and the weather was nice enough, they had a few opportunities to try them out.   I'm sure the neighbors loved all the noise.


But once again, just like last year, the beautiful weather wouldn't last and we ended up with a bazillion snow days.  The kids couldn't wait to try on all their snow gear to play in the whole inch or two of snow outside.  Sam's snow pants were way too short, but I have such a hard time buying new ones when I know there isn't much use for them here.  They would go through all the effort of getting dressed and ready and then come in just 15 minutes later... 
With all that effort, some days I wished they would just be content to stay inside and play the Wii, which they did a little bit, Nate can get pretty intense... at least I know they are still getting their exercise.

Jeremy decided to take the day off on President's Day so that we could do something together as a family.  But first he wanted to wake up early and play basketball with some of the guys from the ward.  Shortly into the game, he shot the ball, landed and heard a "pop" -  a really big pop, like a gunshot pop and then he couldn't walk.  Some wonderful guys from church brought him home and we took him to get it his ankle examined.  He had a full rupture of his Achilles tendon.  This required surgery, and a long healing process.  And of course it was his right foot - no driving at all for the next 12 weeks.  We live about 30 minutes from Jer's work, so this was going to make life exciting.  The day of his surgery, of course we had the worst snow storm of the season and the kids were sent home from school early.  I still have to laugh as I remember trying to help him into the house, with a snowy/slippery walk out front, he was still half drugged/only semi-conscious from his surgery.  His injured foot was fully pointed in a splint (which made it much more difficult) and his other leg was basically jello.  You know those little guardian angels, I must have had a few that day.    It was rough those first few days, but his work was awesome and he was able to work from home for the first few weeks.  We have had so many kind people offer to drive him to or from work.  We have some really great friends.  I kept forgetting to take pictures of his cast, here is a not so great picture taken from my phone. 

No comments: