I have found a new love...
I have always admired those people who could plant something and make it grow. My grandpa is like that and maybe I have some of his green thumb in me yet to be discovered, I sure hope so. I know the whole gardening process should be so simple - but I have never done it before, or should I say I have never successfully grown anything. And the whole process always seemed a bit intimidating to me. Some plants need to grow in just the right season, others needs specific soil - the more I read, the more complicated it seems. This year we had a unique opportunity to participate in our ward garden. So we went the first week in May and planted a whole bunch of seeds. Well, our first attempt did not work out so well. But our friends Laura and Brian and their daughters helped us start over and with a little help from miracle grow, I am so thrilled with our little garden. Every Monday afternoon, the kids and I go over to pull weeds and Jeremy comes to join us after he gets off work. We have been helping to care for other gardens as well to make it a little service project for family home evening. I love working in the garden and I love watching it grow from week to week. Someday, I may even have a garden like my father-in-law, Doug. He has an incredible garden. Lucky for me, he taught my husband a thing or two.
The Ward garden

Our little plot of land


Poor Nate just doesn't understand why he can't run all over. After he stepped on my tomato plant, we had to find someway to keep him out of trouble. He is usually a good sport as long as he has plenty to eat.

The kids actually argue over who gets to haul off the weeds. They have been very good helpers.


Cicadas anyone? Two of our young women actually roasted and ate these things at girls camp this year. This is the beautiful garden that belongs to my father-in-law. Just know that my camera could never do it justice.



Last year, Doug started to build a gazebo. Here he is teaching the kids a thing or two. (We are excited to see the finished product this summer). Below is Grandma and Sam in Doug's beautiful back yard (He also built this shed).


4 comments:
Are the cicadas a delicacy in KY???
Probably are a delicacy down there in the south they even eat squirrels. I love your little garden. I too love to garden, something about making something grow to make you proud. I grew my own hollyhocks and zinnias and when i get compliments I feel like they're complimenting one of my babys. well sorta kinda lol. keep up the green thumb. Ash
i just realized i was signed into my jillspaperjems account oops how embarassing wrong jill above everyone. though humn I could have some fun with that.lol sorry for the confusion. Ash
That looks like fun! Such cute pictures. I have a plant on the back porch and I cannot keep it alive. I'm trying so hard to follow all of the instructions- argh!
Post a Comment