So a few days before we headed back to Kentucky, in teasing my mom suggested that my sister-in-law, Ashley, and her kids should travel back with us for a little vacation. I don't think she intended for me to take her seriously, but I loved the idea and immediately I began scheming. We worked out a few details and bribed and begged and finally, the day before we left, Ashley agreed to come. We finished our final visits, started packing and decided that since we were leaving the next morning, I should let my sweet husband know. I don't think that he knew what to think, he definitely didn't believe me the first time I told him what we were doing - So off we went me, my mom, Ashley & 7 kids driving 1600 miles in 2 days! We left Thursday morning, it took us about 3 hours to drive the first 50 miles. Between the grocery & gas stops, potty breaks, and a missing cell phone, I thought we would never get on the road. Shortly after we got on the interstate the first time, we had an emergency potty break, so we stopped at Wal-mart. On the way out the door, Nate needed a diaper change, so instead of going back inside, I decided to change him in the car. After I was done, I had to get into the back of my mom's car to get something. We were in a hurry to get on the road, so I quickly closed her trunk, and accidentally left the dirty diaper on the tail end of her car. I didn't see it until we were following her out of the parking lot and she was turning onto the road with a dirty diaper on the back of her car. Ashley was with me and we were laughing hysterically. I know I should have called to let her know, but she ended up having to pull over again anyway to re-close one of the doors. It was pretty funny.
Once we drove past Park City, we manged to get into a groove and things went pretty well from that point on. The kids were awesome (at least the 4 in my car did great). All things considered, we made pretty good time. I still hate driving through Wyoming, it never seems to end. We stopped late for dinner in St. Louis and the kids were able to catch some fireflys and mosquito bites.
The next 8 days, we had so much fun with Nana, Ashley and the kids. We went to Waterfront Park, Schimpff's Candy Factory, the Louisville Zoo, survived a crazy storm with flash flooding, found a wonderful babysitter who was brave enough to watch all 7 kids so we could go shopping and out to dinner, and we played a lot of games. We laughed a lot as well. Jeremy survived the broken dining room chair, the leaky ceiling and all of the hand prints on the walls (although there was a moment or two when I thought he was going to have a heart attack). My husband is great at helping around the house and loves to have things in order, but things don't stay in order so well when there are 7 kids running around. Ashley and my mom were troopers and everyone was so patient and flexible.
(down at the Waterfront, Ohio River)
The 2 "L" girls - BFF's. They even had matching hairdo's most days. I'm always getting a ton of compliments on Liv's hairbows, I have to give credit to Ashley since she made most of them and taught me her fun tricks for hairdo's.
Schimpff's Candy Store and Museum in Jeffersonville, IN.
If you haven't been, I strongly recommend it. It's just minutes over the river and if you call ahead, they have candy making tours. Bring extra money for the candy counter when you're done.

Sam told us that he is giving Nate lessons in "Baby-Fu." Ya, I don't know either.

Playing indoors on a very rainy day

Our trip to the zoo




1 comment:
Wow- looks like you had a ton of fun. I bet that was great to be so spontaneous. I had no idea Ashley and kids were out for a visit. That's wonderful!
Post a Comment