This year, Liv participated in Odyssey of the Mind
If you are not familiar with the program, it's pretty neat,
and it's a lot of work, and it is also really hard to explain.
The kids are given a problem to solve and
they have to solve it through a short program (about 8 minutes long)
Liv's team was made up of seven 4th graders and this was the problem they chose...
ARTchitecture: The Musical For this problem, teams will create and present an original performance that includes a replica of a documented architectural structure that was built between 1,000 AD and 1,600 AD. The performance will include three works of art that "disappear" and two characters that go on a quest to find them. When the works of art are found, they will be incorporated into the replica. The performance must also include two songs that are accompanied by some type of choreographed movement.
The kids have to do everything themselves,
parents can't even offer suggestions.
The kids made their own costumes, props & scenery,
wrote their scripts & songs, etc.
The Regional Competition was in Feb.
and Liv's team took 2nd place!!!
They advanced to the state competition that was held at
Northern Kentucky University right outside of Cincinnati.
Jer was a judge and with Liv competing, we decided to make a family trip of it.
Jer & Liv had to be to the competition early that morning,
so the boys and I had some time to hang out at the hotel
we also meandered around the Half Priced Bookstore for a while.
I hate that my camera is so fuzzy...
but the kids built this cathedral themselves
Liv had her first experience with a drill
and a hot glue gun
Her shirt was made of duct tape, silk flowers and hot glue
Liv's team took 4th place in this particular part of the program
and 6th place overall at the state competition.
I love this program for the creative problem solving experience it gives.
It took a lot of creativity, hard work and practice,
and these kids had to sing and perform in front of a lot of people.
I'm so proud of her
and I'm so glad that she has such a good group of friends
I love this program for the creative problem solving experience it gives.
It took a lot of creativity, hard work and practice,
and these kids had to sing and perform in front of a lot of people.
I'm so proud of her
and I'm so glad that she has such a good group of friends
and awesome teachers that put in a whole lot of overtime.

No comments:
Post a Comment