Last year, we had a big party with decorations and all. It was a lot more work than I had initially expected, so this year I was thinking smaller, just a few friends over, no big deal, right? I only sent out a few invitations, no decorations, just some of Olivia's favorite foods and a little moving music because she loves to listen to music and dance. But then somehow, within the first 10 minutes, something else happened. Everybody arrived and when I say that, I mean EVERYBODY. It was the first time that everyone who was invited, actually made it. We had the birthday girl and her friends, along with their moms, (who were a huge help, I could not have done it without them) and lots of little siblings. I suddenly found myself surrounded by 15 little people under the age of 5. So much for an easy little party.
Everyone seemed to be having fun, but we couldn't keep the kids from running off to the playroom, they all just wanted to go upstairs and play. I quickly put the crafts and games aside and did away with everything else I had planned, except the food and one meager attempt at the hokey pokey - which was basically me standing in the middle of the room with 5 moms and 10 of the 15 kids staring at me. Some things are better just forgotten (thank you Jenny for not taking a picture of that one). I made some glitter wands for the kids to dance and move around with. My house is now filled with glitter. At the end, I loaded the kids up with pink ice cream and pink cupcakes and sent them home. I can only wonder what those five moms were thinking about my organizational skills. I promise, I have had better moments, however that day was not one of them. Olivia loved it, and disappeared for 3 days to go play with all of the fun new things she received for her birthday - which was about how long it took me to recover and put the house back together.


1 comment:
Jill, It was a fun party!! I tried to do the hokey pokey too if it makes you feel any better. We had fun though!
Post a Comment