Last Friday, I woke up to a weird jolt and it seemed that all of our windows and doors were rattling and our bed was shaking. We live in a 75 year old house, so there are lots of loose ends to shake and rattle about. We live about a 1/2 mile from a train and I could hear it in the background. My first thought was that there must have been a train crash. The kids came into our room, scared by the shaking doors. Jeremy said it was an earthquake, I shrugged that off thinking it wasn't likely. I hadn't thought of earthquakes in Kentucky. Still the shaking was enough that even at 5:30 in the morning, I knew something had happened. I finally went downstairs and turned on the news and sure enough, we had a 5.2 earthquake, centered not far from us in West Salem, Illinois. Growing up in Utah, we were often reminded of the threat of earthquakes, but in 1999, I worked downtown at the Church Museum of History and Art when a tornado struck downtown Salt Lake City. Now I live in Kentucky with the regular threat of tornado's and instead I experience my first earthquake. Sunday, April 20, 2008
Little Earthquake
Last Friday, I woke up to a weird jolt and it seemed that all of our windows and doors were rattling and our bed was shaking. We live in a 75 year old house, so there are lots of loose ends to shake and rattle about. We live about a 1/2 mile from a train and I could hear it in the background. My first thought was that there must have been a train crash. The kids came into our room, scared by the shaking doors. Jeremy said it was an earthquake, I shrugged that off thinking it wasn't likely. I hadn't thought of earthquakes in Kentucky. Still the shaking was enough that even at 5:30 in the morning, I knew something had happened. I finally went downstairs and turned on the news and sure enough, we had a 5.2 earthquake, centered not far from us in West Salem, Illinois. Growing up in Utah, we were often reminded of the threat of earthquakes, but in 1999, I worked downtown at the Church Museum of History and Art when a tornado struck downtown Salt Lake City. Now I live in Kentucky with the regular threat of tornado's and instead I experience my first earthquake.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Wow- that is crazy. I grew up in Tennessee and have never experienced one. Looking at that map, I can't believe how many people must've felt that. No damage to the house?
Wow, earthquakes are scarry. I have only been i one that i have actually felt. I think is was in 2003. As long as no one is hurt and there is no damage, i guess it gives a good story to tell.
So, Rob had the Derby on today. And I was thinking that we were there on this weekend last year. And it was gorgeous weather. And I'm really missing you guys now. :(
Post a Comment