Thursday, November 6, 2008

Reading Recommendation

I love to read and probably spend way too much time reading when I really should be doing other things (like sleeping). Sometimes I just like to escape into another world and forget my own worries. And it is even better if you feel like you are a better person after reading a book. Last spring, I started reading the Love Comes Softly series by Janette Oke. I read the books before I saw the movies, and like usual, the movies did the books no justice at all (in fact I can't say that I even liked the movies so don't base your opinion of the books by the movies). As for the books, I can't give them a full 5 stars, even though I really, really liked them, but they don't compare to Pride and Prejudice or Vanity Fair. Janette Oke is a Christian author and although they are easy reads, she is a good story teller. Her books are a cross between The Work and the Glory books and Little House on the Prairie - so I guess that will help you decide if these books are for you or not. I like her faith promoting stories (ie, reminding us to trust in God more) and she leaves you feeling optimistic (I need a little more of that these days). There are 8 books in the Love Comes Softly series followed by 4 more books that continue the story in the Prairie Legacy series (I liked the Prairie Legacy more). I like it when friends give me book referrals, so I thought I would pass one along.

2 comments:

Ashley Rv said...

I love good book reccommendations and from you I will definately gives these a try! Thanks! Ash

Carrie Anne said...

oh i love to "escape" into books, too! and I lose WAY TOO MUCH sleep over reading when I shouldn't b/c i have a nursing baby. thanks for the recommendation!