Sunday, April 18, 2010

Spring Break - Nana & Papa in town

During spring break, Nana & Papa drove out to visit us. They arrived the Friday before spring break and stayed for two weeks. We stayed really busy. The first weekend they were here, I had lots of fun things planned, but had a little medical issue come up. On Saturday, my tooth started to hurt. Of course it was one that had already had a root canal and a crown, so I was hoping it was just a problem with my crown coming loose - but wow, it really, really hurt. I went to bed Saturday night in a lot of pain and woke up Sunday morning with the whole right side of my face very swollen, even up into my eyes. And of course, it was Easter morning, not a fun day to get a hold of a dentist. We didn't find an available dentist until lunch time and I can't even begin to describe how grateful I was to him and the pharmacist who were open that Sunday afternoon to give me those meds. I went into the dentist first thing Monday morning. Come to find out - I clench my teeth at night and had broken the tooth into multiple pieces under the crown. Unfortunately, they couldn't save my tooth, but once the tooth was gone, I was feeling really, really good. My parents took the kids to Chuck-E-Cheese while I rested. For weeks, Nate had been begging to go to Chuck-E-Cheese. Every time he saw a coupon in the paper or commercial on TV, he would beg "peas" (please). While talking to my mom on the phone, she told him they could go when she and Papa came to visit. That was his one request for Papa, he asked everyday, even after they went. I think that was Nate's highlight of the visit.

Tuesday, I signed the kids up for the Medieval education day at the Frazier Historical Arms Museum. My pictures didn't turn out so well, only to find out that I wasn't supposed to be taking any - oops!



While at the museum, we saw how hard it was for a Medieval knight to dress in his complete armor. Pretty cool stuff. After, we saw a friendly duel. Sam was disappointed that it wasn't more competitive, I think he was hoping for blood.
Wednesday, we went to Solato and saw lots of animals. I don't have any pictures of Sam because he and Papa went hiking on one of the nature trails.


(Nate in his favorite horse shirt from Grandma & Grandpa)

The rest of the vacation was still pretty busy. We did some other minor sight seeing. One thing the kids and I love to do with Papa is go for walks. Everyday he would take the kids on walks, and sometimes they went pretty far. His last day with Nate, Papa and Nate walked down to main street to get a doughnut. I wish I had been quick enough to get a picture of the two of them walking on down the street, but I was too slow.
Nana & Papa left two days before Thunder over Louisville. We didn't go this year, we were a bit worn out and not up to all of the crowds (especially the port-a-potties - not a happy memory). We did watch it on TV. Not as good as the real thing, but I still enjoyed it. Maybe we will make it next year.

1 comment:

Amy and the boys said...

Hmm, I just left a comment but it didn't work for some reason. Anyway...
SOrry about your tooth! Too bad Rob couldnt call in a prescription for you. My boys sing- "Where a kid can be a kid!" every time we pass Chuck E Cheese. Which is alot because we live close to one. I bet Nate was in heaven. Looks like y'all had alot of fun during Spring break!