Friday, May 1, 2009

Derby & My Favorite Kentucky Recipes

Tomorrow is the Kentucky Derby and even though we won't be going to the Derby this year, I just can't help enjoy the festive atmosphere. It seems to be everywhere right now, it's all over the television, the kids come home from school with their derby hats, parades and horse crafts, even Jeremy had the opportunity to go to Churchill Downs yesterday for work. This year, we have other plans so we will be breaking our usual tradition, but most years we get together with friends, watch the Derby on TV (it only lasts about two minutes) and eat Derby Pie. One of these years I will get myself a fancy Derby hat (although I'm not sure if I would dare to actually wear it anywhere).

Derby Pie
1 cup sugar
½ cup flour
2 eggs
1 stick butter (melted)
1 cup walnuts
1 cup chocolate chips
1 teas. vanilla
1 pie shell (room temp.)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix flour & sugar together, then add eggs, melted butter, walnuts, chocolate chips and vanilla. Pour mixture into unbaked pie shell.

2. Bake pie in 350 degree oven for 35-45 minutes until pie is chewy but no longer runny.
Serves 6-8

Another favorite recipe that I found here in Kentucky is Sweet Potato Casserole. I have had so many people ask me for this recipe, so here it is:

Sweet Potato Casserole
Serves 10-12

Casserole
3 large sweet potatoes (approx. 4 ½ cups cooked & mashed)
½ cup butter
1/3 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1 teas. vanilla
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Peel sweet potatoes and cube into 1 inch squares. Boil in a large pan for approx. 20 minutes. When potatoes are soft (poke with fork), drain sweet potatoes and return to pan. Add butter and let it melt. Add milk, sugar, vanilla and eggs. Beat until smooth and blended. Spread into a 13x9 inch baking pan.

Brown Sugar Topping
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup flour
2/3 cup butter softened (not melted)
2 cups chopped pecans

Mix all together until crumbly. Sprinkle mixture over sweet potatoes mixture. Bake for 25 minutes until topping is golden brown.

2 comments:

newsonsuz said...

Thanks for the recipes Jill. Jeremy has been saying how much he enjoyed that sweet potato casserole since Thanksgiving.

Amy and the boys said...

I need to make those sweet potatoes soon. I love that little pose Sam is doing. He's such a character.