Friday, May 1, 2009

Thunder Over Louisville

This year we finally made it to Thunder Over Louisville. It seems like every year we plan to go, but something always seems to come up - bad weather, business trips, etc. This year, I had an eye infection and my vision wasn't so hot, so I really didn't want to go, but at the last minute, we had some friends talk us into it (it didn't take much). Thunder Over Louisville is an annual airshow and firework show that kicks off the Kentucky Derby Festivities. They say it's the largest annual fireworks display in America. It is pretty incredible. The weather that day was fantastic. Not hot, not cold, slightly overcast, a slight breeze. Although the fire work show didn't start until 9:30 pm, we went down earlier that afternoon to see the Air Show. Sam loved it of course. We had a prime location, right down close to the water and right in front of the speakers. It was nice to hear what was going on, but it was very loud. They said there was over 700,000 people there that day and I believe it. It was an experience and it has been a very long time since I have had to deal with crowds like that, but I'm really glad we went.

Lots of stimulation that day - plenty to see, lots of people and lots of noise

This was probably the noisiest place Nate has ever fallen asleep.


Waiting for the show to start....

The firework show is located on the Ohio River and the fireworks are fired off of the 2nd Street Bridge and huge barges in the river. My favorite part is the fireworks that look like they are pouring off the bridge. Jeremy recorded a few clips if you're interested



No comments: