Monday, May 25, 2009

Gramps

Gramps - All dressed up at Brian's wedding in 2007

Last Sunday morning, I received a call that my mother's father, whom we affectionately have always called Gramps, had passed away. It wasn't a complete surprise, I knew that he had been struggling a bit, but it was still hard to hear the news. Because we live so far away I didn't think I would be able to attend his funeral, but through many tender mercies, I was able to fly home to be with my family this weekend. Jeremy was so good and took great care of the kids, even though he had to cancel a campout and some other plans he had. I thank all of our many wonderful friends who fed and entertained my family while I was gone.

Gramp's funeral was a deeply spiritual and beautiful experience. There were plenty of tears shed, but they were happy tears. It was a day of smiles and hugs and happy memories, a day to rejoice in the wonderful legacy that Gramps left behind. He was such a good man, deeply honest and straight as an arrow. He grew up in Maine and never lost his New-Englander edge. He was a great entertainer on his guitar and I always remember him wearing cowboy boots and suspenders. Between children, grandchildren, great & great-great grandchildren, he left behind over 100 in total posterity and we are all really close. It was so nice to see everyone again and there was so much love there. Because Gramps was a veteran of WWII, the Army and Veterans of Foreign Wars presented a 21 gun salute and a flag presentation at the cemetery. Considering that it was Memorial Day weekend, it seemed very fitting and appropriate.

I miss Gramps, but I know he is in a better place now so if I'm sad at all, it is more for the loved ones who were left behind and sadness for the changes that will inevitably come. I'm just grateful that I am his grand-daughter and that I was fortunate enough to have so many good times and lots of memories with him.

July 2008 - The last day we spent with Gramps.


Posted by Picasa

No comments: